Sisters of Mercy Convent - Nightcaps
In its previous life before being moved to Te Anau, our Lodge served as the Sister's of Mercy Convent in the mining town of Nightcaps, some 100 km away from its present day site.
The Sisters of Mercy were originally founded by Catherine McAuley in Dublin, Ireland in 1831 and were the first religious sisters to come to New Zealand, arriving in Auckland from Ireland in 1850.
From 1850 to 1897 four Mercy Congregations were founded in New Zealand, with a small group of Sisters of Mercy becoming established in nearby Gore in 1890. |
Later, in 1897 another group travelled from Singleton, New South Wales, Australia, to live in South Dunedin & the Gore Sisters amalgamated with them. Before long, many young women joined them and groups moved to various parts of Otago and Southland, opening schools and teaching in them.
A house was purchased in Wreys Bush for a group of Sisters in 1899 and a school was opened. This continued to flourish for a number of years.
With the passing of the years times changed for Wrey's Bush community and many of its families moved away, resulting in a dramatic reduction of the school role by the early 1930s. It was eventually decided to close the school in Wrey's Bush and to build a Convent for the Sisters in Nightcaps. By time there was a bus service for the State school pupils passing through Wrey's Bush to Nightcaps and it was arranged that the Catholic pupils should travel by it to attend the Convent School there. Tenders for the building of a Convent were called.
We are very thankful to Sister Julie Lawry of the Sisters of Mercy in Dunedin for kindly providing us with this information and old photographs of St Joseph's Convent/Te Anau Lodge. For more information on the New Zealand Sisters of Mercy please follow this link.
Startseite - - Ueber uns - Geschichte der Te Anau Lodge - Zimmer und Tarife- Essen und Trinken - lokale Aktivitaeten - Fotogallerie - Kontakt und Anfragen